LBJ Band Audition Information 2020
Welcome to the LBJ Band Program! We are excited to have you join our award winning organization. To place you into the band class in which you will be the most successful (and have the best time,) we ask that you perform a live audition for a band director. Auditions will be on either Saturday, May 2nd or 9th, 2020.
Audition Information – Woodwinds and Brass
- Major Scales Please prepare all 12 major scales for your audition.
- Prepared Etudes Perform the etude ‘cuts’ listed below. We encourage all students to perform each cut at whatever tempo allows you to best demonstrate your skills as a musician.
- Optional Solo You are strongly encouraged to play an advanced solo excerpt of your choosing. This should showcase your abilities as a musician in order to help us get a full understanding of where you are in your musical development.
- Sight-Reading Each student may be asked to sight read a short etude.
Sign-Ups – Google Drive link
All incoming students will choose an audition time slot on one of two days. Percussion Saturday, May 9th, 2020 (only choice of date); Woodwinds & Brass either Saturday, May 2nd or 9th (choose whichever date works for your schedule.) Click on the date below that works best for you. (sign-up link will be live on March 9th)
- Percussion Saturday, May 2nd
- Woodwinds & Brass Saturday, May 2nd
- Woodwinds-ONLY Saturday, May 9th
- Brass-ONLY Saturday, May 9th
Below are the etude cuts for each instrument. These etudes will be used for all incoming students auditioning for band placement at LBJ/LASA.
- LBJ Audition Music_Flute
- LBJ Audition Music_Oboe
- LBJ Audition Music – Clarinet
- LBJ Audition Music_Bass Clarinet
- LBJ Audition Music_Bassoon
- LBJ Audition Music_Saxophone
The first three etudes (starting with CB) are mandatory for every audition, and will determine concert band placement. The following etudes (starting with MB) are for marching band placement. Select and prepare only those that you are interested in being considered for. (MBS = Snare Drum; MBT=Tenor Drums; MBB=Bass Drums; MBFE=Front Ensemble or Keyboards/Mallets) Email Dr. Lizak with any questions.